Thursday, June 28, 2012

Sleeping on Sandwiches - Day 9

Sleeping on Sandwiches - Day 9


The Posture Police Blotter was on hiatus for awhile and I've revived it with a daily blog that is running from June 20 through September 22. This daily edition has a different focus to it and the gem in all of this is that what I'm going to be writing and what I've written about posture and the Alexander Technique are all related. Follow along and learn how!
 
Sensitivities, Pushed Buttons, and Watching the Clock
 
Yesterday evening and into the night was full of various sensitivities and pushed buttons into the wee hours.  I'll take you on a walk through the evening in little snippits.
 
5-year-old announces that she wants to become an ice-skater and that she'd like Papa to be her skating coach.  Papa is beaming.  I make some angry dog sounds and ask if Papa will coach her using that voice (a reference to Snoopy coaching Peppermint Patty in "She's a Good Skate, Charlie Brown).  Child pauses and regretfully explains that she wants a teddy dog to be her coach (a "teddy" dog being a snoopy-like dog who stands upright like a teddy bear).  She's afraid that Papa will be sad about her replacing him as coach with a dog, but also feels that she must stick to the Peanuts reference that she began as accurately as possible.  Papa spends several minutes explaining that he's grateful for whichever choice she wishes to make.  This is all very positive and comforting, but takes up quite a bit of time, but if these conversations aren't had, it's difficult to move forward with the day.

Papa is about to run some errands.  Three-year-old wants a star drawn on her hand.  Papa decides to cut down the number of items on his to-do list and draw the star.  Five-year-old wants to clearly understand the purposes of the shopping trips.  It's getting late.  Stores are closing soon.  Knock one more destination off the list.  

3:00am - 3-year-old is half asleep/half awake screaming that she has an itch between her toes.  Papa is still up putting away his purchases, taking out garbage, and doing a bit of unpacking. I'm half-asleep/half-awake.  He whispers in my ear and asks me to help with the child who is waking up.  I snap at him, frustrated at the prospect of getting up, and instantly regret it.  I paused to think, but two seconds too late.  I've been doing very well over the past couple of weeks at thinking first and not reacting when I feel triggered and I've been feeling so much happier at home.  I easily reverted to a habit though in my sleepy state and my partner is demonstrably hurt.  

3-year-old asks me to scratch the itch between her toes.  I rub it more than scratch.  She scolds me loudly for having rubbed it instead of scratched it.

5-year-old wakes up and desperately wants to go back to sleep, which she is finding difficult with her sister screaming.  

Papa asks 3-year-old if she's hungry.  She says no.  He mentions that she said that all day and hardly at anything.  When offered, she wolfs down a banana and nearly instantly falls back asleep.

5-year-old wants me to cuddle with her.  I do.  She says that I'm squeezing her and notes, "I'm surprised that you squished me since you practice the Alexander Technique".  I am impressed with her sensitivity and interest in feeling open decompressed or as she would say "feeling spready".  I change my cuddling tactic and she's satisfied.  She asks if I'll "practice the Alexander Technique tomorrow" with her.  I say "Of course."


No comments:

Post a Comment